Palestinian security forces crack down on West Bank
Palestinian National Security Services said Saturday that they had detained nearly 100 people in the northern West Bank as part of a security campaign to tackle disorder in the Jenin region following weeks of protests.
They explained that they would continue their pursuit of Palestinians accused of creating "chaos" and "attacking people’s properties" in the northern West Bank, adding that among the 100 individuals detained were youths between the ages of 14-15.
Jenin Governor Talal Dweikat said that "the security campaign will continue and that some of those directly responsible for the chaos and attacks and burning of properties in Jenin remain at large."
Dweikat added that investigations with many of those detained show that many of the teenagers were involved in the attacks, and some have even admitted shooting at the buildings of the Palestinian Authority.
Dweikat denied the involvement of any organized Palestinian political factions in the attacks, including Hamas and Islamic Jihad. However, he did say that Hamas was involved in incitement against the Palestinian Authority and the security services.
He added that "the campaign targets individuals who broke the law, not factions or groups."
Palestinian security forces deployed in Jenin on Oct. 4 as part of a crackdown focused on tackling the disorder in the region which followed the killing of Islam al-Tubasi last month by Israeli forces.
Islam al-Tubasi was a Palestinian youth who was killed by Israeli security forces in a raid on his family home in Jenin refugee camp on Sept. 17. The killing sparked massive protests and a wave of outrage, particularly as it followed weeks of violent Israeli crackdowns across the areas.
The Palestinian National Security Forces are the paramilitary force of the Palestinian National Authority. Their movements and operations are widely subject to Israeli approval. A significant part of their funding and training comes from the United States and other Western countries.