Palestinian Activists Mobilize in a Struggle for Right of Return
By Nabil Al Mulhem
A group of Palestinian activists in Syria have announced the establishment of an organization concerned with mobilizing Palestinians to “struggle for their right of return” to their occupied homeland.
Nine key Palestinian figures issued a statement in Damascus on Friday, which Albawaba.com obtained a copy. The declaration says the aim of their organization is to “crystallize a Palestinian popular stand pressing for the right to return, and a firm position against any compromises on this issue.”
The association, named “A’edoon [Returnees] Group,” also seeks to coordinate efforts with all Palestinian, Arab and international bodies active in the same field.
The A’edoon will concentrate on the approximately 500 thousands Palestinian refugees in Syria.
“Although these Palestinian refugees enjoy all the civil rights of the Syrian nationals, they still have a sense of national identity and want to be able to return to their homeland.”
The group distances itself from politics, and says they are only concerned with the aspect of politics that deals with issue of refugees.
The signatories to the statement are not known to be affiliated to any Palestinian faction – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Lebanon Insists Palestinian Refugees must not Stay for Good
- Opposition Warns Arafat Concessions to Israel will Lead to Civil War
- Palestinian PM tells Arab leaders not to compromise on refugees' right to return
- PFLP Calls for Palestinian Firmness on Jerusalem, Refugees
- Turkey offers residency to Palestinian refugees fleeing Syria