Palestinian-Americans Demonstrate in Gaza to Support Palestinian Negotiators
Dozens of Palestinian-Americans led a demonstration in Gaza City Thursday to support Palestinian negotiators at the Camp David summit and to call on US President Bill Clinton to be just to the Palestinian cause.
Wearing T-shirts bearing maps of Palestine, the demonstrators waved Palestinian flags and chanted: "We support the Palestinian leaders and delegation! We are one people!
"We have come to support our Palestinian brothers who hope for the proclamation of a Palestinian state and the beginning of a just peace. We're also here to show our attachment to this land," said Ahmad Jirahi, president of the Palestinian-American Congress in Houston, from where most of the demonstrators came.
The protesters were also "here as American citizens to tell Bill Clinton that he must treat the Palestinian issue justly, that he must not take the Israelis' side and that a comprehensive peace must be reached that assures us water, border security and sovereignty over our territory," Jirahi said.
He also called for US citizens of Palestinian descent "to have the right to obtain Palestinian nationality and return on the land of their ancestors when they feel like it." - GAZA CITY (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinians Demonstrate in Support of Camp David Summit Negotiators
- Arafat: Clinton Plan does not Remove \'Obstacles to Peace\'
- Palestinian Negotiator Boycotts Summit after Barak's Coalition Crisis
- Palestinian Official: Arafat Has ‘Limited Hope’ for Peace with Israel
- Hamas\' Sheikh Yassin Calls on Palestinian Delegation to Pull out from Summit