Palestinian Central Council to Leave State Declaration Date Open
The PLO's second-ranking body will ask the Palestinian executive to set a date for the declaration of an independent state, rather than take the decision itself, a Palestinian official told AFP Sunday.
The official, who asked not to be named, said the statement to be submitted to the Central Council of the Palestine Liberation Organization at the end of its two-day debate on when a state should be declared will implicitly postpone the proclamation from the long-trumpeted date of September 13th.
The statement will ask the PLO Central Committee, headed by Yasser Arafat, to "start to take the necessary measures for declaring a Palestinian state," in particular setting the dates for local, parliamentary and presidential elections, and preparing an interim constitution, he said – GAZA CITY (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Central Council Starts Meeting on State Declaration
- Palestinian Official: Date for State Proclamation is Open
- PLO to Debate Upcoming Declaration of Independent State
- Official: November 15 ‘Final’ Date for Declaring Palestinian State
- Palestinian Legislative Body Supports Statehood Declaration