Palestinian FM in Damascus Saturday to Pave Way for Arafat’s Visit
The head of the Political Department of the PLO, Farouq Kaddoumi, will pay an official visit to Damascus on Saturday to finalize preparations for the upcoming visit of Palestinian President Yasser Arafat to Syria, which is expected to take place in the middle of the next month, according to Lebanese press reports.
During the visit, Kaddoumi, who is considered the Palestinian foreign minister, will have talks with Syrian counterpart Farouq Al-Shara.
Arafat’s visit comes as reconciliation was achieved with Damascus after almost a decade of severed relations. He met in the sidelines of the Amman Arab Summit Tuesday with Syrian President Bashar Al Assad., Both leaders agreed to unify their stands toward the Israeli government and coordinate their peace negotiations with the Jewish state.
In his address to the summit, Assad “extended his hand to the Palestinians,” calling for leaving the past behind. The offer was received with enthusiasm in the Palestinian side – Albawaba.com
- Kuwaiti FM to Cheney: Pave the Way for Arafat to Participate in Arab Summit; Kuwait Opposes Strike on Iraq
- Report: Arafat to visit Damascus Tuesday
- Arafat condemns Jerusalem bombing, paving way to meet Powell on Sunday; Powell concerned about humanitarian situation
- Arafat to Visit Syria ahead of Amman Arab Summit
- Abu Mazen to Visit Damascus Thursday