Palestinian general elections postponed
A Palestinian general election scheduled for January has been postponed indefinitely because of Israel's reoccupation of West Bank cities, a Palestinian cabinet minister said on Sunday.
"Due to the Israeli reoccupation, obstruction and closures, it is impossible to convene the election on January 20," the minister, Saeb Erekat, told Reuters after a Palestinian cabinet meeting on the vote.
A cabinet statement said elections "would be held immediately after occupation forces pull back" to positions held before a Palestinian uprising for statehood erupted in September 2000. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- PA, Israel to discuss withdrawal from Hebron; PLC delays vote of confidence over new cabinet
- Palestinian Legislators Approve Arafat's New Cabinet
- Arafat calls to stop attacks on Israeli civilians ahead of elections
- Arafat summons election committee, rejects resignation of ministers; Hamas ready to participate in elections
- PA welcomes Israeli decision on Jerusalem vote