Palestinian Groups Say Intifada to Continue
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) and the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) said Thursday that the anti-Israeli uprising in the Palestinian territories will continue.
The two groups, which are both members of the Palestine Liberation Organization dominated by Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fateh, made their statements in the wake of an overnight truce accord between Israel and Arafat's Palestinian Authority.
"The Intifada will continue and violent clashes will occur today in the Palestinian territories," DFLP secretary general Nayef Hawatmeh said in a press statement.
PFLP spokesman Maher Taher told AFP that "the Intifada must continue because it is directed against the (Israeli) occupation."
"We refuse to return to negotiations on the basis of the Oslo accords" of 1993 on Palestinian autonomy, he said.
Two radical Palestinian groups, Hamas and Islamic Jihad, have also pledged that the violence, which has killed more than 170 people, most of them Palestinians, in five weeks will continue – (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- PFLP Rejects PA-Israeli Backdoor Talks
- PFLP Calls for Declaring Palestinian State, Fateh Says Intifada to Continue
- Palestinians Reject ‘Threats’ Over Ceasefire, Say Intifada to Continue
- Palestinian Factions Say They Will Continue Intifada
- Palestinian Leaders Admit US Attacks Affected Intifada, But Vow Resistance Will Continue