Palestinian killed in Gaza Strip; Abu Mazen calls to stop suicide attacks
Israeli troops killed a Palestinian fighter and wounded several others, including a 14-year-old, during an exchange of gunfire early Tuesday in the Gaza Strip town of Deir al-Balah.
Meanwhile, a senior Palestinian official urged armed groups Tuesday to halt suicide attacks to avoid giving Israel the pretext to reoccupy more Palestinian lands.
"I have always said I'm against the use of arms. I think it was a mistake to use arms during the Intifada and to carry out attacks inside Israel," Mahmoud Abbas (aka Abu Mazen), the Palestine Liberation Organization official told Reuters.
"Such (suicide) attacks will give Israel the pretext it needs to reoccupy Gaza Strip. Israel has already reoccupied most if not all the West Bank. It is now raiding Gaza and has destroyed the security headquarters there. Next, it will reoccupy Gaza," he said.
"But I'm not against the use of stones in resisting the Israeli occupation, nor am I against the use of peaceful means," Abu Mazen said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Ahead of Abu Mazen, Sharon meeting: Suicide bomber kills two settlers in Hebron
- Jordan FM calls Palestinians to stop suicide attacks
- Abu Mazen calls for one year demilitarization of intifada
- Two Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip as PLC set to meet; Sources: Sharon to meet Abu Mazen
- Four Palestinians killed in West Bank and Gaza Strip; Israel considering expulsion of suicide bomber father