Palestinian killed, seven wounded as Israel FM says Arafat expulsion ''closer than ever''
Israeli forces moved into the outskirts of the Jabalya refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip on Thursday in what the army said was an attemp to stop Palestinians firing Qassam rockets into Israel.
Scores of Palestinian fighters fought the column of tanks and armored vehicles as it took positions in the area, residents and witnesses said.
Helicopter gunships hovering overhead fired two missiles at Palestinians during fierce fighting. Five of them were wounded, one critically.
Elsewhere, a Palestinian activist was killed late Wednesday, and two others were wounded during an exchange of fire with Israeli forces in the West Bank city of Jericho.
Meanwhile, Israel's Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said Wednesday night that the expulsion of Yasser Arafat is "closer than ever," and that at present, his isolation will continue. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israeli FM: Israel, Palestinians Closer to Peace than Ever
- Palestinian boy shot dead, bomb wounds two Israeli officers as Egypt resumes truce efforts
- Olmert: Israel, Palestinians ”closer than ever” to peace
- Seven Palestinians Injured During Saturday; Arafat Rejects “Buffer Zones” Plan; Annan Says World Must Help End Conflict
- Israeli FM supports calls to expel Arafat; Occupation forces still operating in northern Gaza Strip