Palestinian killed, seven wounded as Israel FM says Arafat expulsion ''closer than ever''
Israeli forces moved into the outskirts of the Jabalya refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip on Thursday in what the army said was an attemp to stop Palestinians firing Qassam rockets into Israel.
Scores of Palestinian fighters fought the column of tanks and armored vehicles as it took positions in the area, residents and witnesses said.
Helicopter gunships hovering overhead fired two missiles at Palestinians during fierce fighting. Five of them were wounded, one critically.
Elsewhere, a Palestinian activist was killed late Wednesday, and two others were wounded during an exchange of fire with Israeli forces in the West Bank city of Jericho.
Meanwhile, Israel's Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said Wednesday night that the expulsion of Yasser Arafat is "closer than ever," and that at present, his isolation will continue. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Gaza Strip: Israeli fire kills Palestinian activist
- Gaza Strip: Hamas, PA police clash as Israel kills four Palestinians
- Gaza Strip: 12 Palestinians killed as Israel continues major offensive
- Gaza Strip: Three Palestinian fighters shot dead during attempt to attack settlement
- Palestinian dead in West Bank as Israel bombs Gaza Strip