Palestinian man sets fire to himself outside Palestinian Authority ministry
A Palestinian man sustained serious injuries Sunday after setting himself on fire in front of the Palestinian Authority Ministry of Finance in the West Bank to protest a delay in receiving benefits conferred to former prisoners, witnesses told Ma'an News Agency.
Wissam Bilal Khalil Marouf, 21, suffered serious burns across his body, according to a medical report from the Palestine Medical Complex.
A medical source in Tulkarem, Marouf's home town, told Ma'an that he had previously been injured by Israeli forces, leaving him with a 30 percent mobility rate and speech difficulties.
Witnesses said people rushed to extinguish the fire.
Marouf was protesting the late payment of benefits to former prisoners in Israeli jails, and had brought his medical file with him as evidence for the ministry.
Police said they have launched an investigation into the incident.
Last Monday, Youssef Nassar, 30, died after setting himself on fire in Gaza City.
- Three Palestinians killed in Nablus blast
- Israeli troops kill Palestinian in Gaza Strip as two teens die from wounds
- Two Palestinians die in Gaza Strip, others arrested in West Bank
- Israeli forces kill six Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza Strip
- Palestinian security forces thwart attack on Gaza Strip crossing; Israeli fire kills Palestinian man