Palestinian Minister: Arafat cannot Return without Jerusalem
Palestinian President Yasser Arafat cannot return home without Jerusalem, Palestinian minister Zayyad Abu Zayyad was quoted as saying by The Jerusalem Post newspaper.
Abu Ziyyad said that the Israelis must understand that "the Palestinians can't sign any agreement without Jerusalem.... No one - Arafat or any other Palestinian leader - can sign without Jerusalem, " he said.
Meanwhile, the paper quoted Israel's army chief, Shaul Mofaz as saying that "even if the summit has failed, there is unlikely to be an outbreak of violence."
He said both sides would make every effort to prevent hostilities, despite predictions that a failure at the summit could lead to widespread violence, the paper added - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Arafat Tells Thousands of Supporters Jerusalem is Palestinian Capital
- Israel accuses Palestinians of smuggling arms on Arafat's plane
- Palestinians Call on Israel to Seize Last Chance for Peace
- Israeli Source: If Arafat Ignores Jerusalem Proposal, Summit is Over
- UN Chief Says No Preconditions for Middle East Summit