Palestinian Minister Demands Withdrawal of Israeli Army from Jerusalem
A senior Palestinian official on Sunday demanded Israeli troops withdraw quickly from areas where they have clashed with Palestinians in order to defuse three days of deadly violence.
"Israeli forces must withdraw very quickly and leave points of confrontation so that a relaxation in tension begins and the crisis calms down," the minister for culture and information Yasser Abed Rabbo said.
Abed Rabbo was speaking on arrival for a meeting of ambassadors to the Arab League to discuss the clashes in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza which have killed more than 30 Palestinians and wounded more than 700 since Friday.
"The situation in the Palestinian territories is inflamed and the atmosphere extremely tense," Abed Rabbo said.
"The Israelis are adding to it by amassing troops around Palestinian cities and agglomerations as well as at the entrance to Jerusalem," Abed Rabbo said – CAIRO (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Abed Rabbo: Statehood without Sovereignty over Land ‘Premature’
- Khalil Abed Rabbo, AFP Reporter, Brother of Palestinian Minister, Dies
- Palestinians to Put Peace Deal to Referendum
- Senior Palestinian official says Arafat's government contemplating declaring a state
- Israeli Soldier Reportedly Killed in Tel Aviv Attack