Palestinian Movements Celebrate Hamas Anniversary, Reiterate Rejection of Washington Talks
By Izzat Ramini
Albawaba.com - Ramallah
Representatives of the Palestinian groups steering the Intifada reiterated on Wednesday their rejection of any peace deal with Israel that will not secure sovereignty over Jerusalem, including the negotiations underway in Washington.
The statement was made at a rally held in Ramallah by the Islamic Resistance Movement, Hamas, marking its 13th anniversary.
Hamas was launched as the military wing of the Muslim Brotherhood days after the first Palestinian Intifada broke out in 1987.
Hamas spiritual leader, Ahmad Yassin, politburo chief, Khalid Mishaal, and Fateh secretary in the West Bank, Marwan Bargouthi, addressed the thousands of Hamas supporters and Intifada activists.
The leaders stressed that the uprising is “the only way to recover the Palestinian national rights.” They also underlined the importance of preserving the national unity, which Sheikh Yassin said is a fruit of the Intifada.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Hamas Warns Palestinian Authority against Cooperation with CIA
- Palestinian Factions Reject Sharm el Sheikh Accords
- Barghouthi: Raid on Gaza Reveals Israel’s Political Bankruptcy
- Hamas Spiritual Leader Calls for Armed Struggle against Israel
- Hamas: We are Committed to the Intifada’s Joint Leadership Program