Palestinian schoolgirl arrested for allegedly carrying a knife
A Palestinian girl waves her national flag during a protest in Gaza City on September 17, 2015 denouncing clashes between Palestinians and Israeli police at Jerusalem's flashpoint Al-Aqsa mosque. (AFP/Mohammed Abed)
Israeli forces on Sunday detained a Palestinian schoolgirl who was allegedly carrying a knife near the Wadi Helwa area of occupied East Jerusalem's Silwan neighborhood, head of the Wadi Helwa information center told Ma'an.
Jawad Seyam said that Israeli forces detained Manar Majdi Shweki, 15, on the grounds that the girl was carrying a knife.
Israeli forces found the alleged knife during a search of her belongings, however it is unknown what prompted the search.
Palestinian youths reportedly filmed the search and detainment of the girl on their phones, which were later confiscated by Israeli forces.
Subsequent clashes broke out in the area, and one youth was reportedly injured from shrapnel after a stun grenade exploded nearby.
- Israeli forces shoot dead Palestinian woman in alleged knife attack
- Israeli forces arrest Palestinian girl for alleged possession of a knife
- Palestinian teen detained for allegedly carrying knife
- Israeli officer stabbed by Palestinian woman as second woman detained for carrying knife
- Two settlers killed in West Bank; Palestinian shot dead after carrying out knife attack