Palestinian Security Uncover Tunnel between Gaza and Egypt
Palestinian security forces unearthed Wednesday a tunnel between Egypt and the Gaza Strip apparently used to smuggle goods into Gaza, reported The Associated Press.
Hussein Zanoon, the Palestinian security chief in charge of the Rafah area where the tunnel was found, told the agency that five suspects have been arrested. Police were to close the 150-yard-long, 9-yard-deep tunnel later Wednesday, which Zanoon said was used to smuggle Egyptian food and other products into Gaza.
Israel said that such tunnels are used by militants to smuggle weapons into the Gaza Strip, AP added.
Zanoon was quoted as saying that he reported the discovery to an Israeli liaison committee, noting it was the 26th such tunnel uncovered by Palestinian security in the last two years, according to AP - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Gaza Strip: Weapons smuggling tunnel collapsed; Three Palestinians wounded
- Gaza Strip: Five Palestinians dead as tunnel collapsed
- Israeli warplanes strike tunnel following rocket attacks
- Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in new Gaza Strip aggression
- Report: Egyptian troops uncover tunnel used to smuggle arms into Gaza Strip; Israel Army head: Operation in Gaza needed