Palestinian teen killed by live ammunition on Nakba Day, autopsy rules
An unofficial autopsy report shows that the death of a Palestinian youth who was killed during Nakba Day protests in the occupied Palestinian territories last month was caused by "live ammunition."
On Wednesday, officials with close knowledge on the autopsy carried out on the body of Nadim Nuwara, said the teenager’s wounds were easily identifiable and were caused by live rounds.
The official report on the autopsy is expected to be released later.
Nuwara, 17, and Muhammad Abu Thahr, 16, were separately shot and killed from close range in the occupied West Bank’s town of Beitunia on May 15, when protests marking the 66th anniversary of the establishment of Israel, known as the Nakba Day (the Day of Catastrophe), were being held.
Israeli officials have since denied having used live rounds.
The team that carried out the autopsy included experts from the Abu Kabir Forensic Institute in Tel Aviv, the Palestinian Institute of Forensic Medicine in the West Bank town of Abu Dis, as well as two experts from Canada and the United States.
The teenager’s father, Siam Nuwara, said that he had agreed to the exhumation of his son’s remains “to prove to Israel and the international community that Nadim was shot with live ammunition.”
Security cameras on Palestinian land last month captured the killings of the two boys, who were shot although they posed no threat.
The West Bank has been under Israeli military occupation since 1967.
The Israeli military also carries out raids on Palestinian houses in the West Bank on a regular basis to arrest activists and civilians - mostly without any charges.
Earlier this year, the Palestinian Authority (PA) Minister of Social Affairs Kamal al-Sharafi said that 1,520 Palestinian children had been killed and nearly 6,000 others injured by Israeli forces since 2000.