'Palestinian Week' in Cairo to Mark Nakba
By Mohammad Baali
Albawaba.com – Cairo
Political parties and civil society institutions in Egypt will jointly hold a 'Palestinian Week' in Cairo to mark the Nakba, the anniversary of the creation of Israel after the Arab defeat in 1948.
The event will include rallies and demonstrations, in addition to a conference organized by the press association.
At the conference, poetry will be recited and nationalist songs performed.
The association’s conference will be held Monday, to be followed the next day by a similar activity under the supervision of the Bar Association. Both the Physicians and Teachers unions have also announced similar plans.
For its part, the opposition pan-Arabist Nasserist Party will hold a forum “to discuss the latest developments in the Palestinian cause.”
Participants in 'Palestine Week' are expected to rally at the Arab League headquarters in the city to demand “more active steps against Israel's ongoing aggression.”
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Egyptians Rally on Nakba Day
- Egyptian Press Association Calls for Strike on Nakba Anniversary
- Egyptian Lawyers Rally in Support of Intifada
- Egyptian Doctors, Dentists Launch Symbolic Strike to Support Palestinians
- Palestinians mark 56th anniversary of ''Nakba''; Arafat: Right of Return - ''sacred and inalienable''