Palestinians Deny Contacts on Resuming Negotiations with Israel
Palestinian international cooperation minister Nabil Shaath denied Tuesday that there had been secret meetings with Israeli officials aimed at reviving peace negotiations after weeks of deadly unrest, reported AFP.
Israeli newspapers carried reports Tuesday of a number of secret meetings between high-ranking Israeli and Palestinian officials they said were aimed at resuming talks and securing a deal before US President Bill Clinton leaves office on January 20, said the agency.
"There have been no secret meetings on resuming negotiations," Shaath told AFP.
"There have been a lot of meetings on the situation on the ground, on ending the violence and the Israeli siege of Palestinian territories, but I do not call these negotiations," Shaath added.
Also, Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo was quoted by The Jerusalem Post newspaper as denying reports that there were diplomatic talks with the Israelis.
He said that only US President Bill Clinton could push forward diplomatic contacts by making offers that went beyond the understandings reached at Camp David, according to the paper -- (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)