Pentagon confirms US soldiers, civilians missing in Iraq as Powell surprised from strong resistance
The Pentagon has confirmed that two US troops and several US civilians are missing following an attack by Iraqi fighters on a fuel convoy west of Baghdad.
Defence officials said it is not immediately known if the missing Americans have been captured or killed.
Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Colin Powell has admitted that coalition forces are facing far stronger resistance than he expected.
"What we've seen over the last few days is stronger than anything we have seen previously," Powell stated. "I must say it was more than I'd expected to see at this time.
"But nevertheless, I think our commanders have a handle on it, they understand it and they're going to be able to deal with it." (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Resistance attacks intensify: Two US soldiers, two Iraqis killed near Baghdad; Two troops missing
- US soldier held captive by Iraqi resistance as 13 Iraqis killed in Kufa, Mosul
- Report: Most US Bombs on Baghdad Missed Targets
- Powell Urges Israel, Palestinians to Halt Violence, Says Bush will Take ‘Strong Role’ in Peace Process
- Pentagon: US troops not captured in Iran