Peres: Israeli Jenin Operations - “Massacre”
Israel’s Foreign Minister Shimon Peres reportedly termed the Israeli army's operations in the Jenin refugee camp over the last couple of days as a "massacre," in conversations behind closed doors, according to an Israeli daily report Tuesday.
It is estimated that more than 200 Palestinians have died in Jenin. An exact count was not possible because Israel barred reporters and medics from the camp.
The Association for Civil Rights in Israel said dozens of bodies were piled in the streets of the camp and residents were prevented from getting food and water.
In a complaint to Israel's Defense Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, the Israeli organization said the military has committed serious human rights violations in the camp, including the demolition of homes with residents still inside. "Those who left their houses to try to get supplies were shot at by the army," the organization wrote. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Dozens of Palestinians and At Least 14 Israeli Soldiers Killed in West Bank Fighting
- International bodies say Israel violated humanitarian laws
- UNICEF: Women, Children Expelled from Jenin
- Court ruling: Israeli army must hand over to Palestinians bodies of those killed in Jenin refugee camp
- Annan to prepare report about Jenin refugee camp