Philippine Leader to Lift all Death Sentences
Philippine President Joseph Estrada Sunday announced he would commute to life imprisonment all death sentences in the country.
"I will order tomorrow all those sentenced to death commuted to life imprisonment on the occasion of the (Roman Catholic church's) Jubilee year," Estrada said after attending mass in this central Philippine city.
The church has been a vocal critic of the death penalty in the Philippines -- BACOLOD (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Philippine Senator Calls for Death Penalty Review after Rape Increase
- Vatican \'Concerned\' over Church Effort to Oust Philippine President
- Ex-Philippine President Estrada Refuses to Plead to Perjury
- Amnesty International urges Lebanese president not to implement death sentences
- Estrada Refuses to Enter Plea in Philippines Corruption Trial