PLO's Fateh Faction Ready to Welcome 'Heroic' Arafat
PLO's mainstream 'Fateh' faction is preparing a big welcome for Palestinian President Yasser Arafat when he returns from Camp David, reported The Jerusalem Post newspaper.
"We want to show him that the majority are behind him, since he did not give in to US and Israeli pressure," West Bank Fateh leader, Marwan Barghouti, said.
"Returning without an agreement would strengthen Arafat, since it would show the people, including the opposition, that he did not give in," Barghouthi said. "But of course, we would like to see an agreement," he added.
A Palestinian source close to the negotiations said leaving Camp David a "hero" and then returning for another summit would help Arafat.
"The same would be true for Prime Minister Ehud Barak if he demonstrated he did not give up on his red lines," the source said.
He added that both leaders could thus return to negotiations with new public backing, said the paper - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Security Forces Placed on Alert after Summit Failure
- Arafat Demands Release of Fateh Leader
- Palestinians Demonstrate in Support of Camp David Summit Negotiators
- Fateh Leader Says Palestinian State can only Come with ‘Conflict’
- Israeli Source: If Arafat Ignores Jerusalem Proposal, Summit is Over