Port Said massacre trial adjourned in Egypt
The Port Said massacre was the bloodiest day in Egypt's football history (File/AFP)
On Tuesday. Port Said Criminal Court adjourned the trial of eleven defendants who were given sentences in absentia over the massacre which left 72 fans of Ahly Club killed and 254 others injured to 18 June in order to hear testimonies from prosecution witnesses.
The prosecution had earlier accused the defendants of premeditated murder and the killing of Ahly fans in order to take revenge for previous conflicts, using edged weapons, explosives, stones and other tools to attack the victims.
Investigators say once the match between Ahly and Masry clubs ended, the defendants attacked the victims with various weapons and even threw some of them from the bleachers.
In February 2012, a court ordered the retrial for 34 indicted defendants, accepted the appeal submitted by the prosecution against the acquittal of 28 defendants and ordered a retrial for 11 others in absentia.
- 11 sentenced to death in Port Said stadium massacre trial
- Retrial of 96 Egyptians Over Sectarian Massacre Adjourned for “a More Thorough Study’
- Explosion in Port Said, Egypt injures three
- Egypt court backs 11 death sentences over Port Said Stadium massacre
- 11 Egypt death sentences referred to Grand Mufti over Port Said massacre