Port Said verdict in: 21 sentenced to death for football riots
Egyptians attend the funeral procession of Abdelhalim Mehana, who was killed during clashes with riot police in Port Said on March 4. AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI
Click here to add al-Masry as an alert
Disable alert for al-Masry,
Click here to add Cairo as an alert
Disable alert for Cairo,
Click here to add Egyptian government as an alert
Disable alert for Egyptian government,
Click here to add Esam Samak as an alert
Disable alert for Esam Samak,
Click here to add UN Court as an alert
Disable alert for UN Court
Twenty one of the original 73 defendents in the Port Said football riots trial have been sentenced to death, Al Arabiya reported on Saturday.
A further five are set to spend life in jail with 28 so far acquitted and six given a 15-year sentence, including former Port Said security chief, Esam Samak.
The verdict follows that of an earlier trial in January where 21 additional defendants were sentented to death.
The defendants are all acccused of the killing of 72 football fans at the stadium riot in the Egyptian port city in February last year. At the match between Cairo’s al-Ahly and local team, al-Masry, spectators were crushed after a pitch invasion by local supporters.
The court decision has been a mute point for locals as protests against the trial have raged across the city. The unrest has seen fatal clashes between police and demonstrators, who have called for the overthrow of the Egyptian government.
President Morsi was said to be considering handing over control of the city to the military, effectively putting martial law in place.