Powell: US To Present Evidence Of Bin Laden Link To Terror Attacks
The United States will make public evidence showing that Saudi-born dissident Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda network were behind terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, US Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday.
"I think his guilt is going to be very obvious to the world," Powell said in an appearance on the ABC television network.
"I think we will put before the world, the American people, a persuasive case, that there will be no doubt when a case is presented that it is al-Qaeda, led by Osama bin Laden, who has been responsible" for the September 11 attacks, Powell said.
The United States has named bin Laden as the prime suspect in the attacks but has so far made public no clear proof substantiating this accusation.
Pakistan and a number of other countries have said the United States has the right to respond to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
They have cautioned, however, that a targeting of bin Laden or other suspected individuals or organizations for reprisals should be based on tangible evidence of their guilt -- WASHINGTON (AFP)
- German Hacker-Turned-Millionaire Offers $10m for Tip Leading to Bin Laden
- New evidence shows 2012 U.S. Embassy attack in Benghazi not linked to Al Qaeda
- Blair Cites Proof of Bin Laden's Links to Terror Attacks
- Taliban Would Extradite Bin Laden If US Has Evidence of Link to Attacks
- Iraq dismisses U.S. attempts to establish link between Al Qaeda and Baghdad; Germany: Bin Laden tape proves nothing