PSG in Bid to Sign Anelka
Bosses from French side Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) have met with Spanish giants Real Madrid in a bid to sign French striker Nicolas Anelka, the French media reported Thursday.
PSG president Laurent Perpere met with chiefs from European champion's Real in the Spanish capital Madrid this week in a bid to get the 21-year-old to return to play for his first professional club.
Following his visit with Real president Lorenzo Sanz, Perpere said, "we are still interested in Nicolas Anelka. I told Real officials this. I hope we have a chance of succeeding. But for the moment we haven't reached agreement. That doesn't prevent us from continuing to try."
Anelka has made no secret of the fact that he would be interested if the Paris-based club approached him to return to his hometown.
A record 23 million pound ($37m) close-season signing from Arsenal last August, the striker has failed to fit into the Spanish side this season. He played for PSG from 1995-1997.
The moody striker's turbulent season reached its peak when he was included in French coach Roger Lemerre's final squad for the Euro 2000 final currently underway in Belgium and the Netherlands – (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Anelka Admits Playing Alongside Raul and Morientes ‘problematic’
- Paris Saint-Germain L1 football club's chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi of Qatar (C) kisses France's former President Nicolas Sarkozy prior to the French L1 football match Paris Saint-Germain vs Rennes at the Parc Des Princes stadium in Paris on May 7, 2014. A
- Anelka Sold to PSG for $33 Million
- PSG hoping to lure Januzaj despite Man Utd's rejection
- Anelka to Join PSG in French Record Transfer