Putin Says Palestinians have Right to own State
President Vladimir Putin told visiting Palestinian President Yasser Arafat on Friday that Moscow has always supported the creation of an independent Palestinian state, ITAR-TASS reported.
"You know Russia's position, which was always highlighted by respect for Palestinian rights, including the right for an independent state," the news agency quoted Putin as saying.
"We have been very carefully following the peace talks between you and the prime minister of Israel, under the patronage of Bill Clinton," Putin said in reference to last month's failed Camp David summit.
"This is a very difficult process," Putin said.
The report made no mention of Putin reacting to Arafat's bid to declare an independent state on September 13th, a deadline agreed by both sides for a comprehensive peace deal, even if no agreement with Israel is reached -- MOSCOW (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Refugees Inside Israel will Demand their Rights ‘on their Own’
- Putin confirms support for independent Palestinian state
- No Friends of Palestine: Palestinian threats of action against the upstarts and state-blocks foiling the bid
- Roger Waters says "undeniably cute" Scarlett 'SodaStream' Johansson is "undeniably not paying attention"
- Abbas ready to address Israeli parliament on 'own terms'