Al-Qaeda's ISIL claim responsibility for Beirut bombing
People carry one of the two bodies during the funeral of Malak Zahwa and her step-mother Iman Hijazi, who both died in a car bomb that targeted a Beirut's suburb the day before on January 3, 2014. [Getty Images]
Click here to add al-Qaeda as an alert
Disable alert for al-Qaeda,
Click here to add army as an alert
Disable alert for army,
Click here to add Bashar al-Assad as an alert
Disable alert for Bashar al-Assad,
Click here to add Beirut as an alert
Disable alert for Beirut,
Click here to add Hizballah as an alert
Disable alert for Hizballah,
Click here to add Iraq and the Levant as an alert
Disable alert for Iraq and the Levant,
Click here to add Party of Satan as an alert
Disable alert for Party of Satan,
Click here to add Qutaiba al-Satem as an alert
Disable alert for Qutaiba al-Satem,
Click here to add Satem as an alert
Disable alert for Satem
The al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) on Saturday claimed responsibility for the suicide car bombing last week in the stronghold of the “criminal” Shiite militant group Hezbollah.
ISIL penetrated the “security system of the Party of Satan (Hezbollah)... and crush its strongholds... in a first small payment from the heavy account that is awaiting those wicked criminals,” Agence France-Presse quoted the al-Qaeda-linked group as saying in a statement posted onto a website page used by Sunni militants.
The bombing, which took place Thursday in Beirut’s Haret Hreik district, killed at least five people and wounded 77.
It was the latest in a wave of attacks to hit Lebanon in recent months as Syria’s civil war spills into its smaller neighbor.
Hezbollah’s fighters are aiding Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in a civil war that pits him largely against Sunni Muslims, including ISIL.
The army, meanwhile, said Saturday that a young man from northern Lebanon was the bomber who blew himself up.
“The DNA test results on the remains of a suicide attacker found in the car used in the bomb attack... confirm they belong to the youth Qutaiba al-Satem,” said the army.
It added: “Investigations are ongoing by the relevant judicial authorities to uncover the full details of the event.”
An official from Satem’s native Sunni-majority area of Wadi Khaled told AFP on Friday suspicions over the 20-year-old’s role were based on a family document found at the scene of the blast.
Satem’s father was then called in for DNA tests.
ISIL is battling to impose their extreme version of Islamic law in the region.
In a related story, an alliance of Islamist and other rebel factions battled ISIL fighters across north-western Syria on Saturday in apparently coordinated strikes against the powerful al-Qaeda-linked group.
- Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Northern Iraq attacks
- Al-Qaeda affiliated group using child fighters in Syria
- Al Qaeda take responsibility for Iranian embassy blast in Beirut
- Al-Qaeda in Iraq claim responsibility for recent wave of deadly bombings
- Sunni militant group claims responsiblity for Beirut blast