Rafsanjani: US, Britain Set Up Taliban, al-Qaeda
Former Iranian president and Chairman of the Expediency Council Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Monday that the United States and Britain themselves actively helped form Taliban and al-Qaeda network in Afghanistan.
In a meeting with Tunisian Ambassador to Iran Moldi as-Sakeri, Rafsanjani was quoted by Iranian official news agency (IRNA) as saying that the United States and the western states themselves set up Taliban and supported it for sometime. "Now they have embarked on military attacks to uproot the group which they themselves were directly involved in setting up. They have created trouble for the state neighboring Afghanistan with their military action on one hand, and at the same time they make claims against the neighboring states," Ayatollah Rafsanjani said.
Iran is accused by the US and the west of sponsoring terrorism, especially in its support of the Lebanese resistance group, Hizbollah and Palestinian factions. (Albawaba.com)
- Former Iran president: US created al Qaeda to encounter ''Iranian system''
- Formar Iranian president slams U.S. policy, says armed forces ready to resist any threat
- Rafsanjani says United States is '\'dinosaur with a sparrow's brain'\'
- Former Iranian president: US wants to loot Iran's rich natural resources
- Rafsanjani: Washington wants to install another dictator in Iraq