Rafsanjani: Washington wants to install another dictator in Iraq
Iran’s former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has accused Washington of seeking to install "another dictator" in Iraq.
"The United States has no intention of installing a free and independent regime in Iraq," Rafsanjani said, quoted by the student news agency ISNA during talks Monday with Iraqi Kurd opposition leader Massoud Barzani.
"They want to install another dictator to guarantee their interests and those of the Zionists," said Rafsanjani, who is close to Iran's supreme leader and head of the Islamic republic's top political arbitration body.
Rafsanjani said "everyone must watch out not to let the United States install another puppet dictator and ignore the interests of the Iraqi people."
Barzani, who heads the Kurdistan Democratic Party, one of two factions controlling northern Iraq, is in Iran for meetings ahead of an Iraqi opposition conference in London beginning on Saturday. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Rafsanjani says United States is '\'dinosaur with a sparrow's brain'\'
- Rafsanjani: US Nuclear Policy Threat To The World
- Formar Iranian president slams U.S. policy, says armed forces ready to resist any threat
- Former president: Iran ready to talks with U.S. ” without pre-condition”
- Former Iranian president: US sends positive signals