In Ramallah: Arafat meets Fatah leaders to pick new Cabinet ministers
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and leaders of his Fatah movement convened on Thursday to choose ministers in the new Palestinian government.
In Ramallah, the Fatah Central Committee held a meeting to choose candidates for 15 of 23 seats in the new Cabinet.
It was unclear whether the Fatah leaders would present designated Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei (Abu Ala) with a slate of 15 ministers, or a list of candidates from which he would pick the ministers. The remaining eight ministers would represent other Palestinian groups or independents.
Initially, Qurei wanted to set up an emergency Cabinet with around eight ministers, however Fatah and Palestinian leader Arafat vetoed that. (Albawaba.com)
- Arafat condemns terror, pledges to hold elections; Sharon unmoved; Fatah leader calls to vote PA cabinet down
- Sources: Palestinian Prime Minister designate to form emergency cabinet
- Abbas: Hamas trying to ‘destroy’ Palestinian unity
- List of ministers in new Palestinian cabinet
- Tunisian leaders meet to choose Prime Minister