Real Fake Passports: Could Daesh infiltrate Europe by passing as refugees?
Amid fears in Europe that Daesh could disguise themselves as refugees in order to carry out attacks, the group has obtained blank passports and the machinery to create new travel documents. (Shutterstock)
Islamic State [Daesh] obtained tens of thousands of blank passports in Syrian, Libyan and Iraqi towns since 2014, according to Western intelligence agencies.
The Welt am Sonntag paper cited intelligence officials in its report Sunday on Daesh selling “real fake documents” to raise money. The militant group is offering passports for between $1,000 and $1,500 on the black market.
In addition to the blank passports, Daesh seized machinery for the production of passports and personal identity papers.
Security officials are concerned that jihadists will use the passports to disguise themselves as refugees and infiltrate Europe, the paper reported.
- How different sides of the Internet are using the fake Syrian passport to push their agenda
- Turkish intelligence warns of potential Daesh attacks on embassies
- Ex-wife of Daesh chief al-Baghdadi to face Lebanese military court
- Two of the suspects in Paris attacks were from Belgium
- Israel's Gains from Vittorio's death Won't stop the intellectual intifada