Reformist becomes 20th woman in Iranian parliament
A reformist candidate has won a parliamentary by-election in Iran's northeastern Khalkhal and Kossar district, according to AFP.
Mehranguize Morovati, a member of the 2-Khordad coalition, which groups several parties close to reformist Iranian President Mohammad Khatami, was elected to become the 20th female member of the 290-seat Majlis, or parliament.
Riots broke out in Khalkhal and Kossar in April 2000 after the Guardians Council, a conservative-dominated watchdog, annulled the victory of another reformist candidate in general elections. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iranian Parliament Votes not to Certify Election of Conservative MP
- Iran’s Election Watchdog Cancels Result for Western Parliamentary Seat
- Iranian Students Protest Annulment of Reformist Win in Central Iran
- Iranian Parliament Approves Election of Conservative and Reformist MPs
- Iranian President Meets with Reformist MPs