Released German workers return home following kidnapping ordeal in Sudan
Two German aid workers kidnapped in southern Sudan last week arrived home Tuesday to a warm welcome by their families. Steffen Horstmeier and Ekkehard Forberg, both 31 years old, embraced their relatives after landing at Frankfurt airport and accepted a joyous greeting from a foreign ministry representative.
"We are happy to be free and in Germany again," said Forberg, who is confined to a wheelchair due to a foot injury sustained during his capture, according to AFP. The foreign ministry said no ransom was paid for the release of the two Germans, who work for the World Vision aid agency.
One Kenyan was killed and the two Germans and another Kenyan kidnapped at gunpoint July 29 during an ambush in the town of Waat near the Ethiopian border. Horstmeier said he planned to return to work in Sudan in a period of two weeks. (Albawaba.com)