Report: Abbas to offer giving up Right of Return
Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas will tell Palestinian factions meeting in Cairo Tuesday that the right of return of refugees should be looked upon "realistically," and that not all exiled Palestinians will be able to return to former homes in Israel and the Palestinian territories, the London-based Asharq al Awsat newspaper reported Monday.
Palestinian sources told the daily that Abbas will tell the participants in the Cairo meeting that the right of return cannot be fully implemented, and that those who cannot return should be granted compensation.
Abbas hopes that the meeting will end Friday with a statement by all factions on a truce with Israel.
- Netanyahu: no peace until Palestinians recognize Jewish state, give up right to return
- Saudi leadership gives Kerry "enthusiastic support" for Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts
- Abbas: Palestinians will never give up their rights
- Hamas leader: US, Israel to give nothing to Palestinians
- Palestine PM Fayyad offers resignation: sources