Report: Afghan Opposition Frees 14 Taliban Prisoners
The Afghan opposition has released 14 Taliban prisoners in response to a similar gesture by the ruling Islamic militia ahead of the Muslim Eid-ul-Fitr festival, a report said Tuesday.
The Afghan Islamic Press said the Taliban soldiers were released Monday.
Last week the Taliban freed 131 prisoners from the Pul-i-Charkhi jail in Kabul. Both sides are estimated to have thousands of prisoners of war.
The Taliban control some 90 percent of Afghanistan while the opposition hold the remainder, mostly in the northeast -- ISLAMABAD (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Taliban Commander Defects as Heavy Fighting Erupts in Afghanistan
- Afghan Opposition Shell Northern City with US Air Cover
- Opposition Steps Up Attacks on Taliban, Capture Northern District
- Taliban Confirms Opposition Takeover of Strategic Town
- Press: Afghan Opposition Commander Predicts Endgame in Pakistan