Report: Amnesty Praises Bahrain Reforms
At a meeting with the Bahraini Crown Prince, Shaikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa on Monday, the Amnesty International delegation visiting Bahrain “expressed satisfaction with the country’s sincere efforts in bolstering the principles of freedom and justice and safeguarding human rights,” reported Bahrain Tribune on Tuesday.
The visit by the human rights watchdog came in the aftermath of constitutional reforms in the Gulf emirate that would resurrect parliamentary life after 26 years.
The Bahrainis have overwhelmingly consented to the reforms in a referendum last month, giving a 98.6 approval to the proposed national charter.
Bahrain Last week licensed the first local human rights agency ending a years-ban on such NGOs – Albawaba.com
- WEF founder praises Bahrain's economic reform
- US Under Secretary of State Grossman praises Moroccan reforms and pledges support
- US praises recently enacted Israeli economic reform plan
- Bahrain\'s Emir Grants Amnesty to Political Prisoners, Opposition Figures in Exile
- Bahrainis Agree Overwhelmingly to National Charter