Report: Barak may Declare Bethlehem Closed Area during Christmas
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak is considering declaring the West Bank city of Bethlehem a closed military area during the Christmas holiday if Palestinians do not stop firing on the Jewish settlement of Gilo, reported The Jerusalem Post newspaper.
It said that Barak received the closure recommendation last week, but put off the extreme decision pending a Palestinian curb on the armed attacks.
According to the paper, Barak is delaying taking the decision until the eve of the holiday.
On Monday, a female Jewish settler was seriously injured during an exchange of fire between armed Palestinians and Israeli troops near the Giol settlement.
Last week, the Israeli army tripled the number of soldiers protecting the Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza strip -- Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- PA may cancel Christmas celebrations; Report: Sharon refuses to declare he will not expel Palestinians to Jordan
- Israel Threatens to Arrest Arafat on his Way to Bethlehem; Sharon Rejects Peres-Abu Ala Peace Plan
- Israeli Army Triples Number of Troops Protecting Jewish Settlements
- Gunbattles Break out in Bethlehem as Israeli Tanks Attack
- Israel-Palestinian Gunfights Erupt During 'Days of Rage'