Report: Barak may Declare Bethlehem Closed Area during Christmas
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak is considering declaring the West Bank city of Bethlehem a closed military area during the Christmas holiday if Palestinians do not stop firing on the Jewish settlement of Gilo, reported The Jerusalem Post newspaper.
It said that Barak received the closure recommendation last week, but put off the extreme decision pending a Palestinian curb on the armed attacks.
According to the paper, Barak is delaying taking the decision until the eve of the holiday.
On Monday, a female Jewish settler was seriously injured during an exchange of fire between armed Palestinians and Israeli troops near the Giol settlement.
Last week, the Israeli army tripled the number of soldiers protecting the Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza strip -- Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Bomb Explodes near Jewish Settlement in Hebron, no Injuries
- Three Israeli Soldiers, Woman Settler Wounded in Exchange of Fire
- Palestinian Killed, 60 Injured in Clashes in Gaza Strip, West Bank
- Israel\'s Security Forces Arrest Three Palestinians in Bethlehem
- Israeli Army Destroys Palestinian Homes Near Jewish Settlement