Report: British troops to deploy in Gulf region next month
Thousands of British troops are expected to start deploying to the Gulf region next month in an intensive build-up of forces in preparation for a war with Iraq as early as February. According to The Times, U.S. and British intelligence services have dismissed Iraq’s 12,000-page declaration on its weapons of mass destruction, saying it was "full of holes."
The British Government is likely to indicate its general plan for troop movements soon after the UN Security Council meeting next Thursday at which Saddam’s weapons declaration will be discussed, the newspaper added.
British troops from 7th Armoured Brigade and 4th Armoured Brigade in Germany, part of the 1st (UK) Armoured Division, are training at their bases for what is projected to be the main British land force.
Other key elements will also be ready early in the new year, including the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal, which is due to leave Portsmouth towards the end of next month for a Naval Task Group training deployment in the Far East. (Albawaba.com)
- Reports: British Troops to Start the ‘Ground War’ Next Week
- Bush: America ready for war in Iraq; Britain to send more than 20,000 troops to Gulf region
- Is the UK sticking its oar into the Gulf to ward off the 'Iran threat'?
- Germany not to supply armoured troop carriers to Israel
- Iraq: 12,000 US and 4,000 British troops to leave by September