Report: China May Execute Two MPs Over Corruption
Two members of China's National People's Congress (NPC) have been sacked over corruption charges and could now face the death penalty, state media reported on Monday.
The two legislators were found to have taken "huge sums" in bribes and could face trial soon, the China Daily website said, citing unnamed official sources.
One of the two, Cong Fukui, was formerly the executive deputy governor of northern China's Hebei province and a member of the standing committee of the provincial communist party branch.
Zhang Erchen, the other dismissed lawmaker, is the former mayor of Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei.
If it is proved they solicited and accepted bribes exceeding levels set by the central government and the supreme court, they could both face capital punishment, the website said, quoting the official sources.
The dismissals may only be the start of a broader purge in Hebei, as the website said several other senior officials linked to the two are under investigation.
Cong and Zhang were dismissed from the NPC on Sunday after a decision by the provincial people's congress in Hebei.
China's ongoing campaign to curb rampant corruption among its officials has already cost the lives of a number of ranking politicians.
Earlier this year, Hu Changqing, the former vice governor of Jiangxi province was put to death over graft charges.
In mid-September, Cheng Kejie, a former vice chairman of parliament, was executed after he had been found guilty of accepting 4.9 million dollars worth of bribes -- BEIJING (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iranian billionaire executed over $2.6 billion scam
- China May Charge Ten People Over Fireworks Deaths
- China's stock watchdog moves to curb corruption in markets
- Iraq's other war: the gruesome fight against corruption and bureaucracy
- Residents pose for a photo before a full-size replica of the Great Sphinx of Giza in Donggou village in Shijiazhuang, north China's Hebei province on May 13, 2014. The structure is part of an outdoor film studio located in Donggou village and the statue h