Report: CIA believes Saddam Hussein is alive in Iraq
The Central intelligence Agency (CIA) has internal documents that make clear Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein is alive and hiding in greater Baghdad, protected by an underground resistance network of tribesmen and former Baath officials, administration officials told United Press International (UPI).
"There is a resistance network and it is stronger than we originally thought," one administration source said.
"Saddam is moving around inside Iraq and he's got a lot of support," another US government official said, and added, "A lot of what is being reported in the press as 'looting' is in fact sabotage by Baath party stay-behind groups."
The underground Baath resistance consists of former party officials who are funded with money looted from the Iraqi treasury, this source said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Opposition: Iraqi President Purged 100 Ruling Party Officials
- Former Baath Party detained in Iraq
- Reoprt: Saddam tribe funds, arms resistance in Iraq
- Top US envoy to Iraq starts Gulf tour; Baath party offcially dissolved
- Senior Baath Party official in US hands; Saudi Arabia to deal with Iraq transitional government