Report: Clashes End in West Bank, Gaza Strip
Clashes between Palestinian demonstrators and Israeli troops ended late Saturday afternoon throughout the West Bank and Gaza Strip, AFP correspondents in the area said.
Hospital sources in Gaza and the West Bank said 12 Palestinians had been killed in the violence, six in each region.
A top-ranking Palestinian official with responsibility for security matters, who asked not to be named, told AFP in Gaza that more than 400 Palestinians had been injured in the Palestinian territories during the day.
Earlier, the Israeli army and the Palestinian Authority agreed to declare a ceasefire Saturday, Israeli army chief Shaul Mofaz told a press conference.
"I spoke to (Mohammed) Dahlan and Jibril Rajoub and we agreed on a ceasefire," Mofaz said.
Dahlan is the head of Palestinian preventive security in the Gaza Strip and Rajoub is his counterpart in the West Bank – (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinians Refuse Cease Fire with Israeli Army
- Death Toll Rises to Four Palestinians in Clashes with Israeli Troops in West Bank, Gaza
- Palestinian Police Clear Demonstrators from Gaza Hotspot
- Death Toll Rises to Five in Confrontations with Israeli Troops in Palestinian Lands
- Palestinian Stone-Thrower Killed in Gaza Strip