Report: Egypt wants Hamas to shorten prisoners list
A "reliable" Egyptian source told a London-based newspaper that mediators negotiating for captured Israeli soldier's release are trying to minimize numbers on Hamas' prisoner list.
According to al-Hayat daily, the Egyptian source said the mediators negotiating for Gilad Shalit's release were trying to minimize the number by 50 prisoners. “Hamas wants 600 Palestinian prisoners freed, but Israel refuses,” the source was quoted as saying. “Efforts are being exerted by Egypt to lower that number to 550 prisoners,” he added.
According to various media reports, the deal will have several stages, with the first being Shalit's transfer from Gaza Strip to Egypt forces in exchange for the release of a group of Palestinian prisoners.
The source voiced hope that jailed senior Hamas activists would be included among the second group of prisoners to be released.
- Spokesman: Hamas demands release of prisoners from all factions
- Israel refuses to free Palestinian prisoners for video of soldier
- Hamas, Israel implement prisoner swap deal
- Palestinian - Israeli prisoner exchange deal ”close”
- Report: Egypt refuses Israeli request to resume prisoner exchange talks with Hamas