Report: French doctors examine Shalit
The Arabic Al Hayat newspaper, on Sunday reported that four French physicians examined the captured Israeli soldier, Gilad Shalit, in the Gaza Strip last week marking the first time foreign delegates manage to visit him. The BBC – Arabic and Al Hayat Newspaper reported that the physicians entered the Gaza Strip with the German mediator, Ernst Uhrlau.
The physicians arrived in Cairo and then crossed into the Gaza Strip via the Rafah border terminal. They examined Shalit at the place where he is kept by his abductors. The report added that Hamas conducted tight security measures while Israeli drones hovered above the Gaza Strip. The Israeli Ynet News reported that the German mediator assured Hamas that Israel would not attempt to free Shalit by force.
Palestinian fighters who hold Shalit repeatedly refused requests by different foreign organizations, including the Red Cross, to visit him.
According to Al Hayat, the German mediator repeatedly threatened to quit his role as a mediator due to Israel’s stances that kept a prisoner-swap deal a far fetch. Israel is refusing to release 44 detainees from East Jerusalem and 20 Arab residents in addition to a detainee from the Golan Heights. It also insists on deporting 125 detainees instead of releasing them.
- Netanyahu denies imminent exchange deal with Hamas
- Report: Captured Israeli soldier wounded during Gaza war
- 20 Palestinian women to be freed by Israel in exchange for info on captured soldier
- Palestinian president confirms prisoner exchange deal with Israel reached
- Israel refuses to free Palestinian prisoners for video of soldier