Report: Israel develops ability to launch atomic weapons from submarines
Israel has modified American-supplied cruise missiles to carry nuclear warheads on submarines, giving it the ability to launch atomic weapons from land, air and beneath the sea, senior Bush administration and Israeli officials were quoted Saturday by The LA Times.
"The previously undisclosed submarine capability bolsters Israel's deterrence in the event that Iran develops nuclear weapons," the report said.
Two Bush administration officials described the missile modification and an Israeli official confirmed it. All three spoke on condition their names not be disclosed, the paper added.
The Americans said they were disclosing the information to caution "Israel's enemies at a time of heightened tensions in the region and concern over Iran's alleged ambitions."
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Former U.S. military officials: Israeli submarines armed with cruise missiles that could carry nuclear warheads
- Washington urges Israel to renounce nuclear weapons
- Iran says long-range rockets directed to deter Israel
- Report: Israel Testing out Cruise Missiles
- Report: Israel attacked suspected nuclear reactor in Syria