Report: Israel Set to Complete Lebanon Pullout within Days
Israel decided at late-night meeting of the security cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Ehud Barak to complete its withdrawal from Lebanon "within days", public radio said Tuesday.
"The pullout will finish within a few days," it said.
The Israeli army carried out a major phase of its withdrawal from south Lebanon overnight as hundreds of troops crossed the border into Israel under the cover of darkness, AFP correspondents reported.
An army official confirmed that Israel had evacuated 120 troops from its Bint Jbail headquarters in the central sector of Israel's self-declared "security zone" and described the movement of several hundred more as "technical changes".
Barak hosted an emergency session of his security cabinet to discuss bringing forward Israel's withdrawal after the collapse of its allied militia in south Lebanon -- METULLAH, Israel (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Report: Egypt, Hamas reach understanding over day after Israel pullout from Gaza Strip
- Annan, Levy to Discuss Israel Pullout
- Israel completes Lebanon pullout
- Hizbullah leader: Lebanon's longest-held prisoner in Israel to be released within two to three months
- Lebanon, UNIFIL Complete Checks of Israeli Border Violations