Report: School Crush in China Leaves 5 Dead, Dozens Injured
Five schoolchildren were killed and dozens more injured in a crush at a school in central China, local reports said Sunday.
The incident happened Wednesday evening at Number One Middle School, in the town of Shenjian, Henan province, when nearly 800 boarders rushed back to their dormitory at the end of school, the Beijing Morning Post reported.
Using the same staircase, dozens of students between 12 and 13-years- old fell on top of each other between the ground floor and the first floor, it said.
"At this point, I lost consciousness," one schoolboy told the newspaper. Teachers tried to intervene to save those who had been trampled, but five died on arrival at hospital.
Dozens of other students were injured, but the daily did not say how badly -- BEIJING (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Four Girls Killed, 30 Injured in Pakistan School Collapse
- Witnesses: Israeli Soldiers Raided West Bank School, Clashed with Students
- Nine Israeli School Students Hurt by Collapsing Ceiling
- Over 120 dead in Syria crackdown
- Dozens killed, injured in Syria after car bomb explodes by field hospital near Turkish border