Report: Syria to redeploy troops in Lebanon
The Syrian army is inclined to carry out a new redeployment operation in Lebanon following the recent talks between the commanding generals of the Lebanese and Syrian armies, An Nahar daily reported Friday. Quoting "informed sources", the report added the Syrian move is connected to "possible developments on the border with Israel."
Syria has cut down its Lebanon-based troops in the four previous redeployments from 40,000 in 1976 to 20,000 in 2003.
Meanwhile, in Washington the Bush administration said Syria would have to withdraw from Lebanon in a short time, asserting that the Damascus government "has to be taken to account and will be taken to account."
"Lebanon needs at an early point in the future to be free and to have an opportunity to build a Lebanese society for the Lebanese," Bush's National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice told a news conference in New York Thursday night. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syria to redeploy some of its troops from Lebanon
- Syrian Army To Redeploy in Lebanon
- Sources to <i>Albawaba</i>: US demands Syria to pull out of Lebanon before year-end
- Bush wants full Syrian withdrawal from Lebanon by May
- Assad: Withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon connected to Mideast peace process