Report: US administration supports construction in West Bank settlements
American and Israeli sources were quoted as saying on Saturday by The New York Times that the US administration has changed its view on Israeli construction in West Bank settlements, and now supports building of housing units there, although not in undeveloped areas.
The daily reported that this new shift in U.S. policy was demonstrated in the American reaction Tuesday to the publication of tenders for the construction of about 1,000 new apartments in West Bank settlements.
Saturday's report quoted a Bush administration official who said that the latest U.S. statement on the new settlement construction points to "a covert policy decision toward accepting natural growth" in some settlements. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel issues tenders for construction of about 1,000 new housing units in West Bank settlements
- Report: Israel building 350 housing units in West Bank settlements
- Group: Israel continues to build in settlements
- Israel to Build 700 Housing Units in West Bank Settlements
- Israel plans to expand settlements, to build fence along West Bank border