Report: US rejects Israeli request for ”bunker buster” bombs
The United States has rejected an Israeli request for "bunker buster" bombs and mid-air refuelling planes for fear they could be used to attack Iran, the Haaretz newspaper reported on Thursday. The US administration also refused to give permission for Israeli fighter jets to fly over Iraq, it said.
According to AFP, military experts believe the GBU-28 "bunker busters" Israel had requested could be effective against Tehran's underground uranium enrichment facility at Natanz in central Iran.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said after a meeting with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice last month that the United States "do not want, for the time being, any (military) action against Iran." The Israeli defence ministry refused to comment on the newspaper report.